CITY OF TACOMA SMALL BUSINESS RESTORATION GRANT
The Community and Economic Development Department continues to respond to the needs of our small business community as we recover from impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic. These impacts have included an increase in crime and vandalism resulting in damage to storefronts across the city. And, as a number of entrepreneurs have sought to launch their own small business in a storefront, restoring that vacant space to active, they may have run into challenges opening, exacerbated by limited access to capital to get or stay open.
There is $500,000 available. This grant provides an opportunity for Tacoma’s small businesses to seek funding to help offset two types of costs:
- Property Damage Repair – up to $3,000 for one occurrence of damage to repair your storefront, such as broken windows, broken doors, broken locks, or etching on windows, that occurred after January 1, 2022. Repairs must be completed and verification paperwork with receipts must be submitted no later than June 1, 2023. This grant will not cover the loss of stolen goods or graffiti removal/paint.
- Market Enhancement – up to $20,000 to complete or comply with permitting requirements to open – or keep open – a physical location or increase market share for the (non-homebased) business, such as grease interceptor, safety upgrades, ADA access, curbside seating, takeout window, etc. The project must be active and funding decision will include project readiness. Tenant improvement must be completed and eligibility verification paperwork with receipts must be submitted no later than May 1, 2023
Grant amount is based on actual and verifiable costs. One grant per business, business owner, EIN, SSN, UBI number, business license number, or business address.
To be eligible, applicants must have/be:
- a for profit business within the Tacoma city limits (Verify Address)
- a physical location that serves the general public
- have no more than two locations
- no more than 30 FTE employees, including the owner(s)
- annual net revenue of no less than $1,000 and no more than $5,000,000, as reported in Business and Occupation (B&O) taxes to the City of Tacoma.
- an independently owned, non-franchise, non-chain business
- a current City of Tacoma business license (Business License – City of Tacoma)
- a current Washington State Business License, UBI number (dor.wa.gov/businesses)
- compliance with all federal, state, and city laws and regulations
- a valid WA State Driver’s License or alternate ID
- a business Unique Entity ID (UEI)
As of April 2022, a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) number is required to receive grants from federally funded programs. The Washington State Department of Commerce created this UEI Frequently Asked Questions resource for how to apply for this number. You may submit an application by entering 1 at this time, but if selected, the funds will not be disbursed until you provide the UEI number
- business located outside of the Tacoma city limits (Verify Address)
- Adult entertainment businesses
- Cannabis shops, growers, and dispensaries
- Short- or long-term rental or investment property
- Taxis, rideshare, or food delivery services
- Nonprofit entities
Reimbursement requires submission of valid receipts and/or insurance documentation related to the repair or tenant improvement transaction(s) at your business location. Recipients need to current on payments to City, State, and Federal governments prior to disbursement of grant funds. Duplication of benefit is not allowed, meaning you may not receive this grant to cover expenses already covered by other Covid-relief or insurance funds.
The online grant application is at www.MakeItTacoma.com starting January 11th 8am PST and will be available is English, Khmer, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Language assistance available upon request.
This application is due on February 2, 2023, 11:59pm PST. Late applications will not be accepted.
All applicants will be notified by February 21, 2023.
Information sessions: Free workshops for grant applicants will be held virtually on January 20, 2023 at 10 AM and January 21, 2023 at 3:30 PM. Each workshop is one hour long and allows for Q&A. Interested individuals are asked to pre-register by emailing RestorationGrant@cityoftacoma.org to receive a Zoom link