Events and Training
Access event calendars, courses, and resources to help in your business endeavors!
Growth Accelerator Fund & SBIR Catalyst open till July 2
Over $5 million in cash prizes will be awarded to impactful and inclusive approaches that support entrepreneurs involved in cutting edge R&D.
The SBA seeks proposals from the nation’s innovation-focused entrepreneur support organizations (ESOs) that outline programs to speed the launch, growth, and scale of deep-tech small businesses across the country. Applicants submit a 12-slide deck and a 90-second video, addressing the relevant elements of one of the following tracks, by no later than 4:00 EDT on July 2, 2021:
Track 1: The Growth Accelerator Fund Competition—Prizes of $50,000 for efforts to provide focused assistance to STEM/R&D entrepreneurs, including support for company formation as well as awareness and education of SBIR/STTR programs. Contestants must focus their proposed efforts on one of the following groups: women entrepreneurs, minority entrepreneurs, or other target entrepreneurs identified by applicants (ie. rural, veterans, individuals with disabilities, etc.).
Track 2: SBIR Catalyst—Prizes of $150,000 to scale collaborative partnerships, strengthen ties between stakeholders (including public, private, non-profit, and academic partners) in support of SBIR/STTR applicants and awardees. SBIR Catalyst winners will help fulfill the SBA’s goal of addressing current gaps in access to the innovation economy for communities of color, women entrepreneurs, and rural communities.
Competition rules, requirements, and additional information can be found at www.sbir.gov/accelerators.
Join a pre-application webinar June 2 at 2pm EDT – register at http://bit.ly/GAFC21Webinar.
Don’t want to submit but are excited about inclusive entrepreneur support in R&D innovation? Consider serving as a judge – register your interest by June 9 at http://bit.ly/JudgeGAFC21.
Questions? Contact us! firstname.lastname@example.org
Take The Tideflats Survey
We Want to Hear From You:
As an early step in the planning process, we want to hear your thoughts on the future you want to see in the Tideflats.
Please take our online survey today and tell us:
- How do you think the Tideflats should look and function over the next 20 years?
- What would you want to preserve, create, or change about the Tideflats?
If you missed one of our recent Educational Visioning Panels, the videos are now posted online at www.cityoftacoma.org/tideflats,
or open the attached flyer that includes links to the survey as well as the panel sessions.
What can you do to help support this process?
- Please share the survey with friends, family, co-workers, or any interested parties.
- Share the survey on social media.
Please reach out to me directly at email@example.com.
MBDA events for June
[NEW] Updates to PPP Loan Forgiveness Instructions [SBDC]
June 11, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT
June 25, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT
July 9, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT
July 23, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT
This webinar will cover the new Coronavirus relief bill updates to the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan forgiveness application and related instructions. Representatives from the SBA and the Washington State Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will provide updates on the new PPP loan and loan forgiveness requirements.
[NEW] Activate Your G.R.I.T.: 2021 Program Managers’ Seminar Series [NMSDC]
July 19-29, 2021
Following NMSDC’s 2021 theme—Activate Your G.R.I.T.: Growth. Resilience. Innovation. Transformation. — our 2021 Program Managers’ Seminar Series features 15 sessions to ensure Supplier Diversity professionals and our Corporate Plus® members have access to information and inspiration that supports success. Sessions will be presented virtually over two weeks from July 19-29 and include: Best practices in Supplier Diversity; Career Advancement & Development; Soft Skills Development; Optimize Your NMSDC Benefits; How to Help Your MBEs
[NEW] Grow with a Pro [Business Impact NW]
Tuesdays thru December 2021, 8:30 AM – 9:15 AM PDT
Whether you are in the idea phase or a growth phase in your business, we invite you to attend our weekly Grow with a Pro coffee chats. You will hear from Business Professionals from Umpqua Bank, Tax-u-Sign, Farmers Insurance and an Attorney from the Rational Unicorn.
Every Tuesday from 8:30 to 9:15 Pacific Time, you will get to hear from one of these professionals as they chat about their area of expertise as it relates to current times and we will have an opportunity for a few of your non-confidential questions to get some answers. We’ll even be offering you opportunities to connect with other business owners through these morning coffee chats.
See registration links below:
- First Tuesday of Every Month: Jim Stephens – Banking Professional – Umpqua Bank
- Second Tuesday of Every Month: Lily Tran – Accounting Professional – Tax-u-Sign
- Third Tuesday of Every Month: Robert Soliman – Insurance Professional – Farmers Insurance
- Fourth Tuesday of Every Month: Michael Jonas – Legal Professional – Rational Unicorn Legal Services PC
Cash Reigns Supreme Webinar
The Progress Process
THE PROGRESS PROCESS: A Path to Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racist Business [Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber]
Six-Part Series, February 25th – September 30th
Join us for a 6-session, interactive workshop in which we will explore organizational transformation with a lens on equity and anti-racism. The sessions are designed to engage participants who are looking for space to discuss equity literacy and organizational development. The facilitators are experienced equity practitioners and established leaders in the public and private sectors. Participants will gain knowledge and skills that will help them navigate a roadmap to practice and achieve levels of equity, inclusion and anti-racism in their businesses.
Contracting with the City of Tacoma
City contracting practices
Product & Services that the City buys
The City of Tacoma Equity in Contracting Code
Small business technical assistance/resources
How to complete WA OMWBE certification
Last Monday of every month starting in January, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. One hour with an optional 30 minute certification session. Use the link below to attend.
Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber COVID-19 Conference Calls/Webinars
COVID-19 BUSINESS INFO SERIES
Join the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber for in-depth panel discussions of issues for our businesses that have arisen due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
SBA's Money Smart for Small Businesses
Money Smart for Small Business (MSSB) provides an introduction to topics related to starting and managing a business. MSSB was developed jointly by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). The materials are available for immediate download at Money Smart – Teach – For Small Business.
Organizational Event Calendars
For your convenience, we have compiled a list of agencies offering small business training and development opportunities. Please explore the sites below to see upcoming events:
- William Factory Small Business Incubator Calendar
- Washington State L&I Workshops and Training Center
- Minority Business Development Agency Event Calendar
- Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber Of Commerce Event Calendar
- The World Trade Center Tacoma Event Page
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Event Page
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Loan Briefing Workshops
- Events at Bottom of Page
- The Washington State Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) Event Calendar
- Washington Center For Women In Business Event Calendar
- Invista Performance Solutions Courses
- Veterans Business Outreach Center Region X (Business Impact NW) Courses
- Economic Alliance Snohomish County
Please explore below to see what resources are offered by the following organizations:
- Washington State Business Hub
- Pierce County Libraries (Job And Business Center) Resources
- Access with Pierce County Library Card
- Tacoma Library Business Resources
- Access with Tacoma Library Card
- City Of Tacoma Office Of Small Business Enterprise (SBE)
- Contact: Carrie Lynn Phone: 253.591.5224 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- City Of Tacoma Business Marketing Data Services
- Contact: Carol Wolfe Phone: 253.591.5384 Email: email@example.com
Learn more about the Tacoma's business resources: