Events and Training
Access event calendars, courses, and resources to help in your business endeavors!
Pierce County Business Accelerator
Comcast Rise Grants
October 1 – 14, Comcast RISE program is open to businesses owned by people of color in King and Pierce counties. In addition to continuing to offer media, marketing, and technology upgrades, Comcast RISE will provide one hundred businesses each $10,000. Eligible small business will be able to apply online at www.comcastrise.com. Winners will be notified on November 23, 2021.
Request for Proposals - State of Washington
Request for proposals: Outreach to historically disadvantaged communities
The Washington State Department of Commerce is soliciting project proposals from entities interested in conducting outreach and assisting members of historically disadvantaged communities in applying for state and federal assistance programs. The application assistance will include, but is not limited to, programs administered by the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), Department of Commerce, and the Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF).
A total of $9,700,000 is available for this project: $7,275,000 will be available in fiscal year 2022, and $2,425,000 will be available in fiscal year 2023.
Customer Reference Number: RFP No. 22-36704-007
Proposals Due: 3:00 pm, Oct. 15, 2021
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Join Washington's Circular Economy
The circular economy is growing right here in Western Washington! The City of Tacoma, in partnership with the Seattle Good Business Network and the United States Business Council for Sustainable Development (USBCSD), is excited to officially launch the Washington Materials Marketplace. This online platform aims to create a closed-loop, collaborative network of businesses, organizations and entrepreneurs where hard-to-recycle waste and by-products become another organization’s raw material. This new online tool is available at NO COST to any company or organization in Washington. In addition to diverting waste from the landfill, these recovery activities will generate cost and energy savings, reduce carbon emissions and create new jobs and business opportunities in Washington.
If you’re interested in exploring new opportunities to transform waste materials into new products or to secure recycled material streams and reduce use of virgin feedstock, request an invitation to create an account at https://washington.materialsmarketplace.org/.
MBDA events for September
MBDA InVision Tour
The MBDA InVision Tour empowers minority innovators and entrepreneurs to transform ideas into business success through access to federal research and development resources, funding, and technology transfer programs. Join us to hear from space industry experts and learn what it takes to bring your ideas to the commercial marketplace.
- Transitioning to the Space Industrial Base, September 15
[NEW] Minority Enterprise Development (MED) Week 2021
September 19 – 25, 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) will host its annual National Minority Enterprise Development (MED) Week virtual conference. The conference celebrates the outstanding accomplishments of minority-owned companies and presents informational sessions and programming; offering interactive networking sessions to generate new connections and fresh perspectives. MED Week also features an awards ceremony where individuals and organizations are honored for exceptional commitments and contributions to minority business growth. In fact, the MED Week Awards are the highest national recognition an minority-owned firm can receive from the U.S. Department of Commerce.
Grow with a Pro [Business Impact NW]
Tuesdays thru December 2021, 8:30 AM – 9:15 AM PDT
Whether you are in the idea phase or a growth phase in your business, we invite you to attend our weekly Grow with a Pro coffee chats. You will hear from Business Professionals from Umpqua Bank, Tax-u-Sign, Farmers Insurance and an Attorney from the Rational Unicorn.
Every Tuesday from 8:30 to 9:15 Pacific Time, you will get to hear from one of these professionals as they chat about their area of expertise as it relates to current times and we will have an opportunity for a few of your non-confidential questions to get some answers. We’ll even be offering you opportunities to connect with other business owners through these morning coffee chats.
See registration links below:
- First Tuesday of Every Month: Jim Stephens – Banking Professional – Umpqua Bank
- Second Tuesday of Every Month: Lily Tran – Accounting Professional – Tax-u-Sign
- Third Tuesday of Every Month: Robert Soliman – Insurance Professional – Farmers Insurance
- Fourth Tuesday of Every Month: Michael Jonas – Legal Professional – Rational Unicorn Legal Services PC
[NEW] Port of Seattle 2021 Advanced PortGen Workshops – Architect & Engineering
Tuesdays, September 14 – October 26, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM PDT
In partnership with the US DOT NW SBTRC, the Port of Seattle presents the 2021 Virtual Advanced PortGen Workshop series. The seven-session workshop training program will cover key technical & professional skills that are essential for effective management of the company. Participants will be introduced to procurement and networking opportunities with the Port of Seattle, other public agencies and prime contractors.
This multi-week workshop training program will provide education to small, minority and woman-owned firms focused on Architect & Engineering businesses.
- A&E Essential Financials & Business Development 9/14/21
- A&E Human Resources & Industry Networking 9/21/21
- A&E Port of Seattle – Procurement and WMBE Program 9/28/21
- A&E Sound Transit & Understanding Design Build 10/5/21
- A&E Port of Seattle Marketing &Digital Brand Marketing 10/12/21
- A&E Business Plan & IT Security for Small Business 10/19/21
- A&E Resources & Networking 10/26/21
How to Sell on Amazon: Amazon Small Business Academy
Amazon is hosting a series of webinars designed for small business owners and their employees to hear best practices for successful selling in Amazon stores. Each webinar will include an interactive Q&A session. Click here to see all webinars.
Cash Reigns Supreme Webinar
The Progress Process
THE PROGRESS PROCESS: A Path to Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racist Business [Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber]
Six-Part Series, February 25th – September 30th
Join us for a 6-session, interactive workshop in which we will explore organizational transformation with a lens on equity and anti-racism. The sessions are designed to engage participants who are looking for space to discuss equity literacy and organizational development. The facilitators are experienced equity practitioners and established leaders in the public and private sectors. Participants will gain knowledge and skills that will help them navigate a roadmap to practice and achieve levels of equity, inclusion and anti-racism in their businesses.
Contracting with the City of Tacoma
City contracting practices
Product & Services that the City buys
The City of Tacoma Equity in Contracting Code
Small business technical assistance/resources
How to complete WA OMWBE certification
Last Monday of every month starting in January, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. One hour with an optional 30 minute certification session. Use the link below to attend.
Organizational Event Calendars
For your convenience, we have compiled a list of agencies offering small business training and development opportunities. Please explore the sites below to see upcoming events:
- William Factory Small Business Incubator Calendar
- Washington State L&I Workshops and Training Center
- Minority Business Development Agency Event Calendar
- Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber Of Commerce Event Calendar
- The World Trade Center Tacoma Event Page
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Event Page
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Loan Briefing Workshops
- Events at Bottom of Page
- The Washington State Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) Event Calendar
- Washington Center For Women In Business Event Calendar
- Invista Performance Solutions Courses
- Veterans Business Outreach Center Region X (Business Impact NW) Courses
- Economic Alliance Snohomish County
Please explore below to see what resources are offered by the following organizations:
- Washington State Business Hub
- Pierce County Libraries (Job And Business Center) Resources
- Access with Pierce County Library Card
- Tacoma Library Business Resources
- Access with Tacoma Library Card
- City Of Tacoma Office Of Small Business Enterprise (SBE)
- Contact: Carrie Lynn Phone: 253.591.5224 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- City Of Tacoma Business Marketing Data Services
- Contact: Carol Wolfe Phone: 253.591.5384 Email: email@example.com
Learn more about the Tacoma's business resources: